Monday, December 13, 2010

Down came the rain and washed the gravel out!

This weekend our area received 2.97 inches of rain. Now this isn't too unusual for this area and time of year... but it happened in less than 36 hours. Sundays usual average was .18 inches but we received  2 inches MORE than normal.

People who do not live here think it rains like this all the time in the Seattle area, but it doesn't. It is usually a light to medium rain on and off all day. Some days I managed to get to work, go to lunch, come home from work and work in the yard all without getting wet.
In fact, I have just purchased my first true rain coat this year and have lived here all my life.

So anyway it was wet. Very very wet all weekend.


We stayed inside as much as possible until it was time to go to the most amazing show ever* on Saturday night. 
But we left through the front door so we didn't notice this:


 Until Sunday night when the rains(monsoons?) stopped. We found a chasm of great proportions!
Our very own Grand Canyon! The picture just cannot portray the awesomeness.
It is 6+ inches deep and at least as wide all carved out by the water coming down the hill.
 And there goes all the gravel...

 And farther down...more gravel. This is the storm drain Travis has to keep clear of leaves or we have a large pool of water on the road. Large like all the way across the street.

Again the pictures do not show what is really going on. We have a gushing flow down from this trench dug last week. Our water meter is amphibious most the year being at the lowest point in the yard.

 A close up of the river dividing

This river doesn't look like much as it comes down the hill but it was quite soggy and around the shed had some pools of water (equally bad quality photos not provided) around it and then it was untraceable somewhere in all the greenery.


But here is a really bad video of what is going on at the top of the hill, and in to the neighbors yard.
At the very beginning if you watch the center you can see quite the river pouring out of the fence. I really should review my camera work before calling it a night.



*more awesomeness from the show can be seen herehere and here. These videos were taken by strangers at the same show. I did not watch them all the way through because I was there. So if people are doing inappropriate things, it has NOTHING to do with me. Just wanted to share some of the awesomeness that was Roger Waters-The Wall at the Tacoma Dome 2010

3 comments:

  1. The power of water. It can do so much in such little time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rain was crazy! I walked around our yard today and couldn't believe how wet it still was. You're right I think people think this is how it rains all the time, I like the drizzly stuff much better.
    I bet that show was amazing! I love Pink Floyd, one of my all time favorite bands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... When I said, "grab your shoes and camera!". I probably should have reminded you to bring your glasses if you weren't wearing contacts. :P

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate input, advice, ideas and telling me I'm doing it wrong. So chime in!